Monday, May 12, 2008

Logic v. Intuition


I have been, for 39 years and 11 months, a cynic. I have pooh-poohed positive affirmations. I have said 'yeah right' to any idea that seemed Pollyanna, Get Rich Quick, or remotely Positive Mental Attitude related.

Mind you, I haven't doen this INTENTIONALLY. I have, in fact, a huge library of books by Napoleon Hills, Norman Vincent Peale, Anthony Robbins, Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, Stephen Covey, Jack Canfield, and dozens of other authors.

And YES, I've read them. But in the back of my mind, I've always said "yeah - right - whatever", even as I tell others that these are effective strategies. I know intuitively that these are right, but my MIND battles the heart. I've been taught this is the right way. Logic over Intuition. Spock over Kirk. Even though I KNOW and have empirical evidence that if I just BELIEVE, these strategies will work. This is why I can teach them with such conviction.

My internal critic, as Julia Cameron tells me, is a naysayer. The one who tells me its not possible for ME. It is for everyone else, but not ME.

And there are always plenty of Naysayers in my life, from family to friends to ex-employers to those folks that give books one-star reviews on Amazon (see the earlier post).

I am committed to Killing my Naysayer (just the internal one - not those people around me, whom I will simply learn to manage better).

What part of you do you need to 'kill' to get it out of your way? Can you release your internal Capt. Kirk (who always beats Spock at Three Dimensional Chess with intuition over logic)? Finding your New Foot Smell depends on it!

No comments: