Monday, June 16, 2008

New Book Smell?

Went to Barnes & Noble the other day to pick up a copy of Bobby Fischer teaches chess, a partial inspiration for a speech I gave Saturday night. Found it, went to the register, and suddenly remembered I wanted another book - the One Minute Millionaire. I told the cashier if she could have someone get that for me quickly.

Her response? I can't leave here, I can't talk to anyone, but I could go back to the Customer Service desk (in the middle of the store) and they would gladly help. I told her if she helped me, it'd be an automatic extra sale. There was NO ONE behind me.

Her response? "Do you have a rewards card". I replied in the negative, and she asked if I wanted one.

My response? Why would I want one if she can't get me a darn book?

Sheesh - where is the world going?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rich - While you were in the chess books, you should have also picked up Josh Waitzkin's, "The Art of Learning." I just finished it last night and it is a great guide to being able to perform and learn at a higher level than your competitors.

Might be something you need in the next few weeks to help you "get in the zone" before you get to the main stage.

On your book choice - 1.e4 is still giving me problems. I was playing Chessmaster on the plane yesterday and kept getting killed by the computer every time I used Fischer's classic opening.