Friday, December 5, 2008

The Origin of New Foot Smell


In 2006, I needed to write a speech for a District Competition in Toastmasters that covered Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho. The event took place 4 weeks after my amputation. I felt I had to address the situation, without creating a speech which made my audience feel sorry for me.

I developed "Live Your Legacy" which took the story of my Grandfather's preoccupation with leaving a specific legacy with my doubt I could leave a strong legacy if I was unable to walk. When I discussed the surgery, I used terms such as 'upgrade', 'super-deluxe robot leg', and celebrated my solution, my 'New Foot Smell'.

This speech, along with 8 others from myself, 2006 World Champion Ed Hearn, and 2nd place winner Douglas Wilson, is compiled, with background information on our journey to the World Championship of Public Speaking, in our book Win Place & Show.

In December, I'm running a special on the book - with it comes a Video of me performing at the next level, still in a wheelchair, but with the same positive humor that got me there in "Live Your Legacy".

Buy a copy for yourself, your friends, or the guy walking down the street, at http://www.richhopkins.net/WinPlaceShow12.htm!

No comments: