Monday, March 19, 2007

How does Quitting fit into Persistence?

Quitting and Persistence would seem to be mutually exclusive. I have found, however, that quitting can be a key component in persistence, when used strategically.

Persistence indicates a willingness to continue to pursue a goal - whether it be getting an ice cream cone, pursuing one's true love, or fulfilling a lifetime goal. We approach each with singlemindedness, which is often a strategic mistake. While there are often many paths to a destination, we as individuals are not always suited to all paths.

If I wanted to summit a mountain, I can choose to climb it, parachute down to it, take a helicopter, or even just take the road that ends at the top. Some routes are harder than others, some possess unique rewards, but all end at the same place. If I choose to drive up, and my car breaks down, do I head back to the city, fix the car and go another day? Perhaps. I can also "quit" trying to make that path work for me and start climbing up. If I break my leg, I can "quit" walking, call Helicopter R Us to rescue me and take me the rest of the way. Despite "quitting" twice, I still summit the mountain.

Regrouping, stepping back, taking a detour, and changing direction are all valid ways to "quit" while still working toward your eventual goal. The question is how far behind will it take you? Will your rewards push you to your real goal?

When you have a clear destination, don't be afraid to "quit" trying to arrive there the way you intended to. Be open-minded, and ready to see other paths. As long as you keep your true north, you will always get there eventually.

No comments: