Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Are You an Expert?

We have a plumbing issue in our house. As I type this, the water is off, and if we turn it back on, we'll flood the house. This issue has been going on for the past 3 days. My answer on Monday? Call a plumber.

But someone who will go unnamed felt differently - "I can fix it - I'll just go to Home Depot". Unwilling to battle, I let it go on, and watched the back and forth struggle. "Oh, wrong part. Oops, don't have the right tools. *%$# I think I twisted the pipes".

The plumber is coming this afternoon, two days, $40, a tank of gas, and endless frustrations later.

We pay for experts because they can do something we either can't or don't want to do, or they can do it faster, or, HOPEFULLY, they can end up with a better finished product.

As a speaker, are YOU an expert? Do you position yourself as such? What do you have to offer that others with your information do not? There's nothing truly new under the sun, just varying shades of gray. But what we add to the information is why people hire us. When they see you as an expert, they will pay you more, and more often.

Don't just be a speaker - be an expert!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your "unnamed" had all the best intentions...and I'm sure the love and support you showed was appreciated. ;)

Angie said...

An excellent, thought-provoking post for all of us who aspire to speak professionally! I think too many speakers forget it should be about what unique value they can bring to their audience ... as you put it, what makes them an expert. Well said!