Friday, October 19, 2007

What IS Your New Foot Smell?

Among other things, its a book I am working on of compiled stories that illustrate the benefit of being willing to let go of something for something better.

In both our personal and professional lives, there are portions that are good, but not great (my apologies to Jim Collins). Sometimes issues that bug us, but not enough to do anything about them.

Last year, my left ankle stopped bearing my weight. I was given several options - keeping the leg and using crutches or a wheelchair for the rest of my life, surgery with a low probability of success, and no chance of LONG-term success, or the most extreme: amputation.

I didn't HAVE to cut off my leg. Plenty of people live in wheelchairs and have a great life. I didn't have diabetes or any other condition that would have spread the pain to the rest of my body. I could have lived with it, and stayed whole. Having surgery seemed like using fix-a-flat - temporary at best. Amputation, while extreme, has given me greater freedom than I've had in a decade. No pain, and the bonus of wearing regular shoes!

I traded in something that I could have kept for something better. I could have lived with it, I could have kept hoping it would get better, but by being willing to let go, and being willing to wobble before I walked, I have improved my quality of life tremendously.

Do you have something in your life that you just "live with"? Something that you wish worked better, but it doesn't annoy you so much that you MUST deal with it? If you run a business, do you have employees, departments, or methods of doing things that don't work incredibly well, but don't work badly enough for you to do something about them?

We spend much of our lives attacking life and death decisions - reacting quickly to ward off certain destruction. But when life is calm, take a look at what you are settling for, and just living with. Consider letting go of something in favor of something completely new - even if you have to wobble for awhile. Even rose bushes need pruning to allow branches to grow stronger, and new branches to appear.

When you become willing in life to let go of the acceptable in pursuit of what is exceptional, you will find you OWN new foot smell!

PS: Have a great story? Send it to me and you might be published by February!

No comments: